Published On: Fri, Oct 31st, 2014

Immigration Procedures




As a security measures, every foreigner, including foreign residents get photographed and fingerprinted at the immigration office when they are entering Japan. Only persons who are under 16 and also few certain groups such as visiting dignitaries and diplomats are excluded of this procedure. When entering Japan, all foreigners automatically gain a status of residence. Including “temporary visitor” for tourists, there are more than 20 residences statuses such as workers, students, and relatives of Japanese residents and nationals.


Tourists and Business

Travelers Japan has a general visa exemption arrangement for citizen of among the over 50 particular countries. If you’re a citizen of one among these countries, you will only need a valid passport when you’re entering Japan and gain status as a temporary visitor. If not, you will need to get a visa before entering the country. Temporary visitors of most countries are allowed to stay in Japan for up to 90 days. Also, if you’re a citizen of Germany, Austria, Ireland, Mexico, Liechtenstein, United kingdom or Switzerland, you are allowed to extend your stay up to six months in a total. Even so, except for short term studies at Japanese language students, engaging in any paid activities is strictly not allowed for temporary visitors. All foreign tourists are required to carry their passports during their visit in Japan.

Couple walking outdoors with rolling luggage



Foreign workers who would like to work in Japan, required to obtain a work visa of a Japanese consulate or embassy outside Japan to enter the country with a status of foreign worker. To get a working visa from the immigration office, a considerable professional experience or university degree in the applicable field is needed. You also need to have a prospective employer as your sponsor to qualify for most types of working visa.


graduation students




Foreigners who want to study in Japan on a residence status that allows long term studies are required to obtain a student visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate outside Japan. You’ll also need to show a proof that you have enough funds to cover all of the expenses during the stay in Japan and sponsorship of an educational institution. In addition, unless they gain permission of the immigration office, foreign students aren’t permitted to engage in any kinds of paid activities.


Dependents and Spouses

Foreigners who are married to a permanent resident of Japan or a Japanese national may get a spouse visa that permits them to engage in all types of paid activities in Japan. While spouses of foreigners, who are recently staying in Japan with working permit, may apply for a dependent visa. The dependents are not permitted to engage in any type of paid activities, unless they obtain special permit. Even then, dependents could only work for a total of maximum hours per week.


Visa for working holidays is a special visa that permits certain paid activity for citizens of Canada, Australia, Germany, Denmark, Ireland, France, United Kingdom, Korea, and New Zealand between the ages of 18 and 30. To obtain the working holiday visa, you will need to consult with immigration office.

About the Author

- the man who love japan , culture, people ^_^

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Follow me on Twitter